Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Training...and things

I have started doing some specific strength and conditioning training, and altitude training with Andrew Ivey (Elitesportz). Altitude training is something new for me... At the beginning of the week we tested my baseline levels at constant power output, alternating O2 concentrations. This baseline testing will be used to be able to track changes in my body's ability to perform under O2 deprived conditions. During this testing my SpO2 levels dropped quite low and from my days of working in the Sleep and Respiratory Clinic...I knew what this meant. I have had a couple of sessions this week training at around 2500-3000m above sea level, with my SpO2 sitting around 84-88%. Think just under sky-diving height, for those who have had the experience. Speaking of height, Andrew is the strength and conditioning coach for the Wildcats basketball team; so having an audience of giants interested in altitude (training) as I am sweating my box off on the windtrainer with my mask on...nice.




Gym work is not my favourite thing, but I know that I race so much better when I stick to my gym program. So now I have someone to follow-up on me and kick me into shape (so to speak). My skinfolds and weight are slowly dropping; but are a long way off where they should be. This reduction in body fat thing is hard work. I have not been to the gym regularly for a few months now...ahh the pain.

I have been interviewed by Flourish Magazine (WA womens' lifestyle magazine) and will be in the June issue (released June 25th) about 20 pages from the front. I think this is kinda cool. I am a little sceptical about the media so it will be interesting to see how it turns out. Thanks to all those who have contributed 'action photos' for me to submit- Megan Harrison and Amanda Graham.

I have entered the Club B grade trophy race for this weekend (I am hoping for no more rain) and will be going to Albany for the next SRS race and to support country racing. Going to try and get some SRS points back from Linda Evans, Clare and Hol (I missed the second SRS event whilst in Tassie).

And my toe? thanks for asking. It still hurts considerably but I am able to train better as Andrew has cut a whole section of my shoe out allowing my (swollen) toe to stick out the side. With a bit of luck I will be able to motorpace tomorrow.

For those non-cycling people who have asked; GC is an abreviation for General Classification. It is the placing/time that (someone) for the overall event/tour (which may have numerous individual races in it).

Everything since early March has been about Mooball...2 weeks to go...no pressure or anything. I would never put pressure on myself, would I?

No comments: