Thursday, May 15, 2008

Luck is when opportunity knocks and you answer...

Davina's training treat -what you have all been hanging onto your seat for, I am sure:

I have a few skills that I want to do some focus work on; bike handling and close riding. I thought that a fun way to do this would be to try...BMX. I got in contact with the State BMX coach; the FAB Mr Karl Mustchin (pictured here) and arranged to have a go. I got Mum to go through some of my brother's motorbike clothes to find something to wear (street cred. and all) and Karl was going to bring the rest for me, what a champ.
So I rock up with less apprehension than rocking up to the track for the first time, I can now ride a bike at least. There were the standard gags about me falling off (and just for the record, I didn't) and with the track being wet... The 'dirt' I was expecting was more like little rocks and the corners were concrete (like an outdoor track).
I have never seen BMX racing before so Karl took the time to explain the basic skills, starting in a gate (good track stand practise) and how to do jumps. I wasn't sure how I would go, but I seem to do okay and got excited about doing the smallest jumps (few cms max, no bigger I am sure). Thankfully no stacks (there was one close call), but it was seriously, really good fun. The clearly skilled, Karl was jumping left and right for metres in the air, showing me what is was really about, I was very impressed.
After quite a few course efforts, it was about 300-400m long, I was starting to feel my altitude training efforts from earlier in the afternoon. Andrew had me do a 55 min DVD session (on the windtrainer, with altitude) titled something like: Big Gear Effort Training. I loved it...after it was finished.


Anyway, I really like BMX (not that I need another cycling discipline to add to my cycling CV, nor another Bike to purchase/maintain- my Luke would be less than impressed). But I will be back to the BMX track. Karl will be off to China (for the BMX World Champs- WA has great representation) for a few weeks and this will give my still really sore, broken toe some more time to heal, BMX was not so good for it. A big thank you to Karl for looking after me and the loan of all his equipment.


On another note that brightened up my day further; I am starting to get some responses back about my US cycling race team queries...maybe, just maybe, it will happen. But we wont get too excited just yet, I don't like disappointment.

I'll be racing in Dardanup this weekend, round #5 of the Women's SRS. Need to win some more points to make up for the races I've missed, so watch out ladies (I am not at all competitive, am I?).

Sending a big smile xx

No comments: