Thursday, May 8, 2008

a week in the life of...

Planning...

I am almost settled in back home, I love coming home after trips away. But I need a plan, what to do next. I am thinking of doing some criterium and road racing in the US, just a thought. How to do this, who or which team to do this with and (most importantly) how much is it all going to cost, is what I am trying to sort out this week. Anyone have any suggestions?

Training...somewhat different

The lovely Darryl Benson is having some time off from work, so I have taken this as an opportunity to try some different things in my training program. Rides with the Fleet Guys were not going to fit in so, this "little (or not so little, but getting smaller) Fleet Girl" rocked up to this week's Glen Parkers Thursday morning ride, unsure of what to expect. Based upon no real experience, just perception, I was scared. But I have to say I was pleasantly surprised when no one seemed to mind too much that I joined in- that was perfect for me. I was thankful for some adult conversation and impressed by the safe riding practices of the small group. I spend a great deal of my training riding with seriously awesome athletes (we will come back to this point on athletes) but are constantly impressed when someone I meet for the first time knows my name, or has seen me race (and has taken the time to remember).


A special thank you to Bryce MDR (Symmetry Cycle Coaching) for a motorpace session this morning. Just to make sure I was racing the Club race in York this weekend, completely baked (not half baked), I had my first introduction to "Death Valley". I can now relate to what Fitzy and Semple crap on about now. So (well before the crack of dawn) we set off. Cherie (Bonasera) seemed to be in the hurt box as much as me and Brad Robson (a promising junior) was smashing it up on the front. It was all good, until the rain. What was with that?

I have a special training treat lined up for myself next week...going to try something that might surprise a few people. Will keep you posted, will certainly make for good reading (if you enjoy laughing at my expense).

Bonus stuff...

Whilst on the search for a team to ride with in the US I came across this on the Proman Women's Cycling Team website (written by their Team Sprinter). If you are male, you might not be able to relate. http://www.promanracing.com/media/Are_you_an_Athlete.pdf
When I first started reading it, I thought: here we go. Then, it said a few things that hit a few spots in me that I have been hiding from. So I would like to announce that "I am an athlete", because I have been avoiding saying it.

Sad news, I have just seen on Adam Semple's website that Ben King has been involved in a huge crash and will be coming home from Europe today. We are thinking of you Ben and wish you all the best for a speedy and full recovery.

Til next week's training treat report.
Dxx

No comments: