Sunday, August 10, 2008

Its all in your headset


Four weeks I have been here (in Trexlertown/Kutztown, PA) and only now I discover the joy of the Thursday evening ‘training’ criterium. Licence and numbers are required, but there is only glory (no money or prizes) in the winning. It is a fast, undulating, windy, smooth circuit in the park across the road from the velo. I was pleased that there were a few other women racing; some I had raced before, plus Jess MacLean and Teresa Cliff-Ryan (Verducci/Breakaway). I had been a guest coach at a USA U/23 TID camp earlier that arvo with Jess and Teresa and met them for the first time there.

No warm-up was undertaken, this was a bad move as today I wasn’t interested in sitting in much, the first 15 (of the 30) laps HURT. The guys were playing team tactics and attacking constantly (with sprint points every 3rd lap), there was obviously a great deal of local prestige for winning the weekly ‘training’ event. I was riding actively until 5 or so laps to go when started to rain. On the final lap I was sure my rear tire was flat as it was slipping so much. I reminded myself that there was no money and the potential winning glory would be short-lived (as I am leaving town in a day) and the affects of getting in (another) wreck would last much longer. I eased up out of my good position and slowed to increase my traction, finishing at the rear of the front bunch. A nice, fun hit out.

My final Friday night velo racing rolled around with the Golden Wheel race the feature event of the night. Three races for the women;
* 5km Scratch race: 5th place
* Elimination: I did not place in the money and unfortunately did not have a great race, learnt a great lesson however.
* Golden Wheel race: 4th place
The stars for the night were Laura McCaughey and Kaarle McCullock, both also from Australia. I had my own cheer squad, special thanks to Sarah and Lenore (Sturdy Girls Cycling) for yelling from the sideline. There was a corporate challenge Italian pursuit (each of the velo’s sponsors put in a team). Marty Nothstein (the velo’s assistant Director, and past Olympic medalist) even kitted-up to race for one of the sponsors (pictured here). Lowlight of the night was Simon van Velthooven crashing and fracturing his shoulder blade. Every night I have seen track racing here, the men have crashed with at least one broken bone as a result.

As I sit at Toyko airport, reflecting on the past few weeks, I wanted to share with you that root beer DOES taste like mouthwash, I can take or leave S’mores and I love racing in the USA. The USA is a great place to visit, but I am still yet to find a better place to live than home.

No comments: