Friday, August 1, 2008

“Fastest Man on Wheels”

Hilton Garden Inn Allentown West
“Fastest Man on Wheels” velodrome racing


Kerien heat at 10am in the morning, only one chance to make it to the final; first three go through. The velo staff cancelled the second chance repecharge for the women scheduled for that morning.


The lowlights were:
*Rear puncture 10 minutes before the start
*No spare track wheels in the USA
*One of the velo staff members, Ben (who is a legend) ran and grabbed me his wheel so I could race
*No time to change into my correct gear
*I miscalculated the “rear flyer” move and was backpedaling (three wide) to not overtake Bob on the moto as he came off with 2 (666m) to go
*Didn’t finish in the top 3, (4th or 5th maybe) so was in the 7-12th place race tonight.

It could have been worse, I could have punctured whilst in the race and gone down.

My evening race program was:
*One-mile Track Record Attempt: 3rd place
*Five-mile Track Record Attempt: 6th place (plus a preme win)
*Kerien 7-12th place-off: I finished 2nd (in a photo finish), so 8th overall.

The Record attempts (as I am told) were meant to be like really big team pursuits with all the riders in together taking even pulls to reduce the overall time and the best women left standing for the sprint at the end. Our races on the night just seemed like scratch races to me.

1 comment:

RaeC said...

You did awesome Davina, especially with all the challenges you faced. Keep up the fantastic cycling you're doing. Hope your injuries are healing quickly, but I know from reading your blog it will take a lot more than just those little niggly things to keep you off the bike... LOL!! :o)