Monday, August 18, 2008

Who needs a flashy kit when you have flashy riders (G. Britain 2008 Olympics)

NRS- Australian Cycling Grand Prix (& Victorian Open Road Cycling Championships)
August 15-17th, 2008
Ballarat, NSW, Australia

Road Race Championships- Buninyong
Sunday 17th August- 8am start
81.6kms (8 laps of 10.2km circuit); 6 sprints, 7 hill climbs
Final results (top 10):
1 Kirsty Broun (Qld)
2 Carly Hibberd (Qld)
3 Bridie O'Donnell (Vic)
4 Suzanne Always (Vic)
5 Rebecca Locke (Vic)
6 Lisa Jacobs (Vic)
7 Fiona Spargo (Vic)
8 Davina Summers (WA)
9 Simone Spykers (Vic)
10 Radele Berriman (Vic)

With a start temp of 2 degrees, I was rugged up with two layers for the race. Over heat vs freeze, most of the girls chose to freeze and I pleasingly did not overheat (there was not enough sun!) MB Coaching were the dominant team today, Bridie not seeming to have many effective teammates. I was just going to try and survive Mount Buninyong 8 times over as best I could.

The circuit has a 2.5km long climb (Mount Buninyong) at the start and the pace was reasonable from the word go. There were a few attacks, mostly on or just before the start of the ascent. A couple of girls got away solo and were slowly brought back in. A strong effort by one of the riders caused the bunch to react after staying away for more than a lap. Unfortunately I was not able to stick with the front group of 7 girls on the 6th lap. I worked well with Simone Spykers (VIC) and Radele Berriman (VIC) for the remaining 2 laps, the girls put in a good effort and I enjoyed working with them to the finish.

For what happened in the rest of the race…cyclingnews.

Race data:
HR av: 159bpm, HR max: 185bpm
Speed av: 30.2km/hr, Speed max: 64.7km/hr

Post-race Andrew and I had to rush off to a Perth Wildcats Basketball pre-season game (Andrew is the head strength and conditioning coach for the team). An enormous thank you to my coach, Andrew for supporting me in Ballarat this week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey davina

Well done on your results lately, you certainly have stepped it up a notch lately.

I have noticed that you have appear to have been using your Ksyriums for crits lately,and your bonty wheels for the road race in NSW. I would have thought your bonty wheels would be better in crits, Can i ask the reasoning behind your choise there?

Well done again, keep the blogs coming, very entertaining reading

Davina Summers said...

Hi,
Thank you very much for your interest.
Wheel reasoning: I could only take one road wheel set to the USA and opted for the kysriums (as great all round durable wheel) with 21mm high pressure clincher tires. Andrew brought my Bontie singles to Ballarat. I prefer to ride in the kysriums when the weather is wet, I feel that the traction is better being able to run them at a lower psi (around 100). If it had been a sunny, dry day I would have gone with the Bonties.
I hope this helps.
D.

Unknown said...

are you home yet??