Thursday, August 7, 2008

Winners are grinners, losers can please themselves (Peter Fitzpatrick)


24-7 Fitness Clubs pro-am Tuesday night velo racing 5th August, 2008 The angels were bowling again (thunder) and lightening was in the sky, with no roof over the velo, rain meant no racing. The program tonight was going to really suit me, so despite my soreness I was KEEN AS to race. 10-lap Point-a-lap: (similar to a points race, 1 point for the first rider across the line each lap with 3-2-1 points for the final lap). The girls went out so hard from the gun, it was like a kilo effort for the first 4 laps (only on a bigger track). I was hanging in about 5-6th wheel, thinking that I must be in more pain from last week's crashes than I had realized. With 6 laps to go, no points on the board, I needed to step up and do something to win the bike race. So I did…and most of the other girls were done. I was first across the line for every lap thereafter and took the final lap win by about ¼ of a lap. Variations on this race are the tempo (points go to 1st and 2nd across the line) and the super tempo (points go to 1st, 2nd and 3rd across the line) each lap. Interesting races that would be good fun to have in Perth. Back in Trexlertown, it was starting to rain and the racing night was called off. We missed out on the points race and the 12-lap snowball. I was paid out for the omnium win, Fitzy won the men’s so it was a good night for the athlete house.

Roller racing…talk about cycling nerdiness. Wednesday night at the Allentown Brew-works I witnessed roller racing (with $1 beers) for the first time. I will be attaching some video and photos when I receive them from Kate, for your viewing pleasure.

For those who it interests, the guys back home (Pete mainly) has organised an Olympic tipping contest. This is more good, clean bike nerdiness.

No comments: