Sunday, July 13, 2008

How goes the battle? (Mary Canning)

2008 Bend Memorial Clinic CASCADE CYCLING CLASSIC, July 9-13, Bend Oregon
Saturday- Stage 5, 110km road race course profile (the hilliest road race of them all).


avHR 142bpm
maxHR 179bpm
av speed 34.5km/hr
max speed 73.6km/hr

I struggled out of bed today and piled into Anny and Russ’s car, it seemed like groundhog day and we were a well-oiled machine with getting to the starts on time. This was the first day that we were doing a shorter course than the Pro 1 men. They started at the bottom of the first hill and we started halfway up it. I did a reasonable warm-up in case the girls wanted to go right from the start up the hill, but it didn’t help, they still smashed it and I was off the back on the first climb, in a world of hurt. All the girls that had taken the easier options in the TT and crit yesterday were making us all hurt. Most of us formed a group and chased back on, I was remembering something David Short said to me about riding myself back into the race. I rode myself back in alright, straight to the front to get in two breaks (that were caught) and basically sat too close to the front, taking the wind and being a part of bringing back breaks. It was really exciting, there were attacks, and counters and counters and counters…the whole time on the flats until TIBCO got a rider away. Yuki and I were encouraging the other team riders to come to the front, Anny did well. Molly was well positioned for the final long climb, I was well positioned but chose the wrong gear and when the moves went I thought that I just didn’t have anything left (which I didn’t but would have had more if I had of been in my small chain ring) so didn’t question the gear I was in. Once I realized, I made up positions on the climb, but it was so long and near the finish that I was never going to get back the 40 or so positions that I had lost. So I dragged a train of about 4 girls up the hill, none wanted to work, so once I felt good enough, I attacked off the front to get up to the next group (thanks the girls back home, I can now do this). I caught the next group and we had a sprint for the line, Jane was in this group, I let her have the sprint (for 39th place mind you). I am a little disappointed with today, but have again learnt so, so much. The photos tell my story of pain, I wasn’t giving in though. I am 21st on GC currently. Last stage tomorrow, I would like to finish top 20 on CG and highest out of my team, bring on the circuit race.

No comments: