Friday, July 25, 2008

Don’t be afraid of the truth, just people’s interpretation of it

Tuesday night pro-am Track Racing
Lehigh Valley Velo

I was feeling pretty good, and looking forward to racing. Kaarle McCullock and Laura McCaughney were racing in the Cat2/3Men for tonight. I felt that I had not raced well enough on the track to warrant upgrading myself just yet so was with the women, which for the most part were from the USA. I was on the watch for Dana Feiss and the crowd favourite, Nina Santiago (coached by Kurt).

First race for the night was a 2km Scratch race; 6 laps. I attacked from the beginning, it took about a lap to respond, not much happened until 1.5 to go, I was about 4th wheel and went and held it to win by about 4 bike lengths. NICE.

Second race was a 20 lap Scratch race. I attacked early in the race and went away with Nina for a few laps, we were caught by the field and the next lap a preme was called. There was money up (Luke loves it when I win food money) so I wanted to win it. I had to dig in hard to win it as being off the front hurt. There was a good counter attack from Kate. No one chased her and the race had a sketchy bit where I was encouraging the girls to keep riding through or taking turns. There was an instance where the first four girls all pulled up (I was fifth wheel) and it was a little unexpected. So the bunch slowed down significantly on the banking and the was little room for many of the riders at the back or up the top, a little hairy.

To keep the race honest, the organizers announced a bunch preme, that I won also and Kate Vereno was realed back in with the bunch responding to the preme. Some of the “Young Medalists” riders (a group of juniors coached by a lady named May-Britt) seemed to be racing in a style similar to the Rick Lee/Budget Forklift juniors. Dana Feiss attacked early with about 2 laps to go, I responded third wheel behind Kate. Kate did not have enough to get Dana, I went around Kate but could not get Dana on the line, and got second. I won the two premes, so was happy enough with that.

Third and final women’s race for the night was a 10km (30 lap) Points Race (Sprint every 6 laps; 24, 18, 12, 6, 0). The first sprint I came about 5th.. I remember thinking, this is no way to win the omnium for the night. I won the second sprint after blocking for Nina and the girls started coming over the top of me (I put them on the hip and Nina got second), third sprint Nina won and I got second. Forth sprint I thought it was a lap earlier than it was, so went. Dana was challenging me all the way (I crossed the line first, and we heard the bell and both realized what we had done) so it was game-on for the next lap, she came over me and then I over her again for the sprint win. By this stage I was seeing stars and I was hoping that Dana was too. I don’t even know who won the final sprint, I got about 3rd. But it was enough to win the race and the night. Each event had omnium points for the overall prize money. Tonight I was racing for experience, winning money was a bonus. Apologies to all of the girls’ names that I am still yet to learn who contributed to the races.
I have had time to reflect and am pleased that I am racing well and all of my training and efforts before I left are coming together. I am learning a great deal and am pleased with the positive response that I am getting from those who are reading about my achievements (and lessons).

Wednesday I had a day off and we went to New York for a look around. We went up the Empire State Building, to a super Guitar store to pick up something very important for my lovely husband and a look around the shops. We made it back to Trexlertown for the final drinks at the roller party (yes, there was races on the rollers). I am hoping there will be another one whilst I am here so I can see all the fun. There is no Track racing this Friday night, I have arranged a local criterium on Saturday, and the Tour de Toona NRC criterium on Sunday.

Stay safe

1 comment:

RaeC said...

Congratulations Davina!!

I was kept up to date on your progress back on the weekend of July 12th as Andrew Ivey (our Coach) was with me to compete at the All Female Classic that weekend in Melbourne while you were racing. He told me you had a blog, so I have been trying to keep updated on how you've been going and have been so impressed with your performance!! You are one gutsy lady.

Anyway, just wanted to pop in and congratulate you on all the awesome things you have been doing with your racing... go get 'em!! :o)