Friday, July 4, 2008

"Ahh-zee" adventures in LA.

The weather is nice and fairly warm (low thirties) - I love summer, but really by default as a really dislike the cold and rain. I have been on some group rides with "Team Hollywood" the local club, meeting at the Warner Bros Records Building. Some of the guys in the bunch ride with no helmets, as it is not compulsory. One day I found myself up (what could only be described as) a mountain after about 20kms of extra climbing, nice view (pictured below), and then had to work out how to get back home (translation- I was lost about 60kms from home). Another day I went on a mission to find the big "Hollywood" sign in Griffith Park, I did find it (also pictured below), then preceded to get very lost in downtown LA (I realized that I was really lost and looked at the signs- one way said Hollywood Blvd and the other Sunset Blvd, I had to laugh). Also, I have no problems with riding in the traffic now.


I do have the hang of riding on the right (wrong) side of the road, getting good service, bottom-less drinks, talking in miles, feet, pounds and using 25c pieces. I have bought us some new sneakers $25 - what a bargin. Sandra is picking up on my Aussie lingo and her favourite words are- whinging, sledging (we are watching some sports), rubbish (instead of trash) and boot (instead of trunk). Americans seem to find it very hard to prounce my name and I am really going by "The Auzzie".


I met John (of Bicycle Johns) and saw the biggest bike shop I have ever seen, and seriously if you actually stock aero helmets, you must just about have everything. Although the local men have been quizzing me on my shoes (my new Specialized ones) and that they want some, but cant find any in the stores. Sandra got me into an exclusive gym to do my program for the week- it is all about who you know, talk about feeling special.


I have done some training, in preparation for this Stage race next week, I am under no illusion about just how hard it is going to be. But before then, this weekend I have a regional criterium race on Friday (Fourth of July Criterium), a road race on Saturday (Leesville Gap RR) and another criterium on Sunday (Vacaville Gran Prix). The race on Sunday is the Elite Women’s Northern California/Nevada Criterium State Champs.


This weekend is the 4th July holiday (similar to Australia Day). I have seen a steady increase in American flags and baked food items over the last week or so. Tonight I am getting taken to Malibu beach and then first thing in the morning I fly up to Northern CA to drive straight the crit race. One week down, and all is good. I am happy with how I am riding, for where I am at, and my bike is going well- just for the record, red does go faster.

There is a lot of money in LA, flash cars, big houses etc. But I wouldn't give up my life and all that I have, for every cent in the world. No chance, sir.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What no Tom-Tom?

Anonymous said...

any chnace we can see these new shoes?