Friday, July 18, 2008

The body is an adaptive organism

A very long (fun) drive in Carson’s WRX from Bend, OR down to San Fran, CA (all day) and a midnight flight from the west coast to Philadelphia (east coast) brings me to Trexlertown, PA. I got a brief tour on the trip past CraterMountain, OR (pictured, with water in it), the Golden Gate Bridge, CA (also pictured), and a burger joint that served on rollerblades (very American). I have started the second section of my tour and it has a big track (velo) focus.
I have come half way around the world to one of the world’s most respected tracks: (Valley Prefferred) Lehigh Valley Velodrome http://www.lvvelo.org/ . I feel right at home as Dougie (Repacholi-WA) is here- there is yet more interesting variations in his surname. David Short (AIS) has a team of Scott Sunderland, Karlee McCullock, Jason Niblett. Laura McCaughney (TAS) has been in the US for quite a few months racing with Juice Plus NC and is doing a bit of track now. Rick Lee, Audrey Anderson and the Budget juniors from around Australia have been here for the last few weeks and are heading home at the end of the week. Cath Cheatley (NZ, Cheerwine) is training and racing here for the next week or so also.

So for the women, some great talent, along with the USA girls, that I will get to race against on Friday night at the International Women’s Challenge. The track is a 333m outdoor concrete track (photos attached) and it is quite different from our one at home in Perth. There are many big name guys here from all over the world, but I don’t know any of them. I am staying with a guy named Kurt Begemann from the velo in an apartment in Macungie (pictured here) about 1.5kms from the track. Just before I came there was a track meet called Tandemonium. There was 11 tandem bikes on the track, Kurt and Beers (aka Speedie- Team Rite Aid) won the National sprint title.

After Cascade Stage race and big road trip I have tried to take it easy for a few days…allow my body to adapt and recover a little. I have checked out the racing schedule (both for track and road) and tried to set myself up. I have got the ‘transitional’ shopping list down and are enjoying the warm weather. I did a quick roll over the track this morning, and motorpace with Jack (the original velo Director) who knows Darryl Benson.

I hear some terrible news from home, a serious crash involving a car and a group of cyclist on Brookton Hwy. I am thinking of those who are involved and sending my love. On another note, I hear the Bali Bombers who killed my brother are to face the firing squad in the next few days. I am struggling a little to deal with this so far away from home, my family and loved ones. I am enjoying everyone’s emails (or blog comments) so keep them coming. I am pleased the handsome ladies are training hard and having fun.

Congrats to the Australians at the Junior World Championships, all the USA juniors here cannot believe how we keep getting great results at a Junior level, year after year. Very impressive.

Now off to find some track legs…to have a crack at some UCI points for tomorrow night.

No comments: