Thursday, July 31, 2008

There are two types of bike riders…the ones that have fallen off and the ones that are about to (Brian Taylor).

My new residence for the remaining time in the USA will be in Kutztown, PA. The athlete accommodation is located about 16kms from the (Valley Preferred) Lehigh Valley velodrome. In my apartment (which is pictured both from the front and rear) is Peter Fitzpatrick (AUS), Warren Scott (AUS), Haseem Mclean (TRI) and Jude Codrington (TRI). In the apartment next door is Dougie (Repacholi- from my home town, Perth) and Simon van Velthooven (NZL).

I have been getting out on some nice recovery rides and taking in the beautiful country side…not that I am a country type of girl, but after visiting New York the other week, I am not sure I am a city girl so much either.

The complete champ, Kacey Manderfield (Verducci/Breakaway) has loaned me her car for the time whilst I am here (she is off racing in Carolina), so I have ventured out (only as required) and driven very carefully on the right hand side of the road. It would be pure gold entertainment to have been able to watch me constantly chant “keep right” at myself.

So onto the crashes…
We were waiting for the rain to pass to ride the Derby (the main local group ride, legend has it that Darryl Benson was one of the first riders to start the Derby…back in the day). The rain did pass, but too late to get to the start of the ride so we just went on our own; Pete, Wazza, Simon and I - Dougie decided to do windtrainer training instead, smart move. We rode across this one-way metal grated bridge; Peter and Simon first, then Warren and I. Wazz's bike slipped on the still damp bridge and he stacked it right in front of me, I had nowhere to go but slide into him and his bike. Just think of 2 people and 2 bikes sliding on a cheese grater.

So I am okay, just very stiff, sore, bruised and cut up a bit. My wrist is clicking funny and I can't use my left thumb, my back hurts to pedal/walk/move etc. My bike will need some work done to it and some new stuff, thank goodness I brought that spare pair of shoes as mine will need to be fixed also.

Wazza is now at hospital with a broken wrist/hand (requiring both pins and a plate), stitches in his lip and a 7cm long, very deep cut on his other hand- he had lost a lot of blood (photo attached, he was smiling at the jokes we were telling him to try and keep him with us until the car arrived to get him to hospital). I was very impressed with Simon’s responsiveness and first aid in the situation. Wazz was not wearing a helmet...so I have two suggestions for the punters: Learn first aid and always wear your helmet (even if you are just rolling down the street).

On a similar note, Scott Sunderland broke his collarbone at the track last night (Tuesday), he came down with Haseem and another guy. I understand Scott will be coming home on the weekend to have some surgery.

I have entered both a local road race and circuit race for the weekend after track racing on Friday, assuming I feel up to it. Friday night's race program is kerien’s (with the heats in the morning), 1-mile track record attempt and 5-mile track record attempt. I am going to do them all, the money is up to 12th in the keriens and 6th in both the record attempts.

2 comments:

RaeC said...

Damn girl... that was close!! Hope all your injuries heal quickly, Wazza looked like he was in a bit of a mess!! :)

Anonymous said...

DS - Glad your face stayed safe with the metal bridge episode, your poor friend, he got pretty messed up. I wanted let you know that you brought a high level of racing to the area in the past weeks. I hope you felt it was good racing as well, we are improving each year with the quality and depth of womens racing in the area. T-town is such a great cycling community. Within 2 hrs from that area generally you can race every weekend from march to september. Your a very good all around rider with great finishing speed,timing,confidence,and hope a team is scouting for that kind of talent for the 2009 rosters. Enjoy getting back to see your husband. Jackie Paull