Monday, September 22, 2008

All these people in the race, there is only going to be one winner, do you want it more than everyone else?

NRS- Celtic Country Classic de Femme, Northern NSW – 96kms
Glen Innes to Inverell (via Elsmore Loop)
(The women’s race of the Grafton to Inverell)


Results:
1. Davina Summers (Fleet Cycles/Plan B)
2. Kirsty Braun (MB Cycles)
3. Jodie Willett (Virgin Blue Cycling)
4. Leonie Burford (Illawarra CC); with a FAB lead-out
5. Carly Hibberd (MB Cycles)
finishing times


The weather was beautiful for today’s race, the sun was shining, some were saying it was hot, but I love racing in the heat. There was headwind, but no rain so I was not complaining. I felt better than yesterday, not FAB still, but I had come to the race with what I had. At sign-on our bikes were fitted with the timing transponders, and we were informed that Chloe Hoskings (ACT) had scratched (it was cited that she was focusing on training post Junior World Championships).

The neutral peleton was lead through town in a show lap for the locals, which was great. Some of local women were kitted up nicely in the Inverell Cycles kit and were very welcoming. With a relatively small field of just under 30, there were riders from all over the country for the final NRS race. The pace was steady through the undulations, as expected there were attacks on the QOM climbs, Leonie had a good solo attack about half way through the race and stayed away for a bit prior to the final QOM. The whole bunch missed the spot sprint, except Miffy Galloway (who won it), we were all wondering what she was doing and realized as we crossed the flag and line. The 2nd sprint held a great deal of prestige with the winning of the sapphire from a local family in memory of their son (I found this out at presentation) Kirsty Braun won this.

After completion of the Elsmore Loop and over the final hill, the remaining kms were all downhill. By this stage we all knew it would come down to a bunch sprint, with 13 women left in the front bunch. As expected, MB Cycles teamed up pretty well for the finish. A massive thank you to Leonie Burford (Illawarra CC) for leading me out for the finish. No act of kindness is ever wasted on me and in this wonderful team sport of road cycling, the favour will be returned. Anyhow, back to the race…I kicked and was now pedal for pedal with Kirsty, with the line approaching. I was just in the lead, to make sure I threw on the line. I have been well advised not to celebrate or ease up until it is all over. Not that I am a victory salute kinda girl anyway. I usually just smile. Again, I love getting my name and photo in cyclingnews

The local race radio coverage was a nice touch that allowed support people and the race audience a chance to follow the race, we could hear how the men were traveling before and after our race over the loud speakers.

The presentation dinner was a good feed, that could not come quick enough. We sat on the “WA table” with Chris Thompson (CWA CEO, and 2nd place getting in Division 2), Megan Harrison (CWA Program Co-ordinator), Brendon Nichols (Aussie Crates), Jody Lenson (CWA), and the Michaels. At the end of the presentation dinner, Carly Hibberd was presented with the overall NRS winner jersey. It was a little disappointing that most of the audience had left with the end of the night being announced prior. Winning the 2008 Women’s NRS series jersey is a prestigious achievement, in my opinion it should have been one of the premier presentations of the evening.


In line with the Team Summers/NAM&S Financial support I have received to enter/transport and lodge for this event, we stayed in another quality hotel in Inverell. What you pay for is what you get, Andrew reminded me. The Glen Innes hotel at least had shower taps that matched and no mould on the roof, the hwy noise had been replaced with the bass from the band next door at the local pub. You get the idea. The commentary on the motels is more for comical value and I could have slept in the car for all I cared after my pleasing result.

A special thank you to Fleet Perth for arranging a Polar display unit for me to be able to see race distance today (it was very helpful). Pretty good work by the Event Managers (pictured here), hope to see them again next year.

3 comments:

RaeC said...

YOU LITTLE RIPPER!! Way to go girl!! xxx

Unknown said...

Awesome.

Love the pic of you with the flowers.

Choppah said...

I guess rooting from the states worked! Yes, we Americans are going to take partial credit for that stunning victory! :) Way to go, D!!!