Monday, September 22, 2008

There is nothing to fear, but fear itself (someone important).

‘T was the night before race day, registration was done, bike was ready and the rider was feeling uneasy. I have been here before and just have to remember that I don’t travel well (mental note: this is the last time I am catching a midnight flight to race anywhere, I don’t care how much cheaper it is…my body hates me for days afterwards). I am stretching, resting and doing everything right to feel good for the race, remembering to have faith in my training.

One of my road cycling aims for 2008 was to place in the top 3 of the NRS. I have come to this event to protect my current third placing. The standings are currently (and don’t ask me how they work out the points, I am still waiting for a reply from Cycling Australia):
1. Carly Hibberd (MB Cycles) 684 points
2. Bridie O’Donnell (AIS) 510 points
3. Davina Summers (Fleet Cycles/Plan B)441 points
4. Carlee Taylor (SASI) 380 points
5. Kirsty Braun (MB Cycles) 335 points
I need to note also:
7. Chloe Hoskings (ACT) 245 points

Winning the race would be the best outcome, but securing the points over other riders is the reason I am here.

Today we drove/rode over the course to ensure I was familiar with it. The overall gradient is downhill, but there is consistent undulations (I would call them hills, others may not). I struggled to ride with lots of aeroplane in my legs. Luke saw an echidna and mooed at the big cows.

We have been sitting on the edge of our seats like some sort of thriller movie, watching the stock markets. It was great to hear the Australian market rallied back up again today- I would not like to be retiring in the next few weeks.

The drive from Brisbane was largely uneventful, I managed to sleep in the car for one of the first times in my life. We did get caught up in Brisbane peak hour traffic and a cattle crossing however. My instructions for the accommodation were “cheap cheap”. Over the last 12 months I have discovered that being a ‘financially struggling’ cyclist has resulted in a re-adjustment of my princessness. I once had an attitude of “work hard to have nice things” but women’s elite cycling goes against this (in my experience anyway, or I perhaps I have not yet worked hard enough). Luke couldn’t believe that I was pleased with our 3-star accommodation as it smelt nice and was clean. That was all I need to race my bike.

Goodnight xx

2 comments:

Choppah said...

Race hard, D! I'll be mentally rooting for you from the states!
-Sarah

RaeC said...

"Over the last 12 months I have discovered that being a ‘financially struggling’ cyclist has resulted in a re-adjustment of my princessness."

I can barely type this I am laughing so hard!! Oh boy do I hear you on this one!! The only time I can afford to be a princess these days is when I am actually onstage competing... the rest of the year my grooming, purchases and clothing budget are non-existent. The pitfall of being a financially struggling any kind of athlete... LOL!! xxx