Saturday, September 13, 2008

The decisions, outcomes and achievements of today, affect tomorrow. There is no clean slate.

The week in summary: too many hours on the bike left little time to plan and organize. Base kms, base kms, base kms…just ticking them over. Thankfully I have had plenty to daydream about this week. It has kept my mind off not drinking diet coke (for the most part) anyway.

Luke and I are going away next week to NSW (for the final women’s NRS race of the year- Celtic Country Classic de Femme). This 95km race is from Glen Innes to Inverall via Elsmore Loop. It will be a nice chance for us to spend some quality time together.

This weekend our Plan B Team is entered into the Cyclosportif Grand Fondo- 108kms. Bec H will pick me up extra early in the morning for the drive to York. She is racing in a team with Anna, Brett and Steve. With 640 riders total entered into the event, just finding my team mates will be interesting. Plan B team will have: Neil Manning, Duane Johansen, John Dunlop, Davina Summers, Josie Tomic and Sarah Kent. I love Cyclo events as there is so much bike candy everywhere.

I tried some dry needling with my massage this week. It was an interesting experience (see the attached photo). I didn’t have any spots that are so tight it was required, but in preparation for this time, Patsie (Subiaco Sports Massage) was good enough to entertain my curiosity. The needles are hard to see in the photo, but it was a little bit freaky. Nothing about my tan lines or chunky legs.

Today the Plan B girls went motorpacing with Darryl. I was up for extra kms so took the windy option down the coast to Fremantle. In total 7.5 hours that I was on the bike I got rained on about 5 times. But the good thing about the tragic weather is the lack of people out and about. I got most of the bike path to myself and there was little traffic on the road. The tail wind was awesome and...well the head wind will only make me stronger.

Fleet Cycles have arranged for me to try some new pedals that some of the girls in the USA were raving about. The (new version) of Speedplay pedals/cleats. I wanted to try them as you can clip in on either side of the pedal, which is faster. The girls with Speedplay pedals in the USA were the ones going from the gun in the Criteriums. I had to spend the first few laps just making it back to the front if I didn’t clip straight in. I will have them on my bike next week and will let you know if they are all that they say they are.

On a final note, because of the interest shown in my blog I have decided to set up a website. Currently it is half-functional and the address is: http://www.davinasummers.com/ If you have time to take a look and let me know what you think or have any suggestions. A very special thank you for the help in getting this set-up.

Til next time- ride lots.

No comments: