Monday, June 30, 2008

They are no different from you, they have two arms and two legs and are just trying to do the same thing as you (M. Hall)

47th Annual Chevron Manhattan Beach Grand Prix (presented by Rock Racing), CA, USA Sunday, 30th July, 2008.

With 67 pre-registrations, and more lining up I could only guess that we had about 80 starters. It was a hotdog course (described by the organizers as a ‘bent paperclip’-only if you have a vivid imagination) with two hills, one shorter steeper one into Turn 1 and a longer uphill into the wind before Turn 2. There was 2 right hand 180 degree turns. We had 5 Bicycle John’s Team riders including Skye-Lee. Today we were wearing radios (see picture above), not that you wanted to take your hands off the bars to use them, it was rough from the road and the riders.

As it was a NRC race with big time pro racers and teams, I was a little nervous, it was great to have a hit out yesterday. But I went in there with clear direction, and a "nothing to lose" attitude, it really seemed to work for me. It was a really fun race, there were heaps of attempts to get away from the teams, but none successful. Stuff going on everywhere, half the effort was concentrating for 50 minutes solid. Because of the technical course, no one was really able to hold a position and everyone was constantly fighting to keep it.




There was a great purse of $7500 paid to 20th place for Cat1/2 women, my aim was to get prize money, so top 20 and I would be happy. In the last few laps the pace really was on, everyone knew that if you weren’t in the top 5 coming through the final corner you weren’t going to win. I moved up well on the final two laps, up the hill particularly and was happy with my position in about 6-8th wheel (behind a Cheerwine train of four, with Laura Van Guilder one in front of me) with ½ lap to go. There was a flyer up the inside and both girls in front of me hesitated or had nothing to go with it. Skye-lee was also around me at the time, I moved out and jumped on, now about 15-20th with a ¼ lap to go.


This was not good, I had to move…fast. So I got up and had a sprint coming into the final corner, there were people cutting in and chopping on the corner (worse that every other corner), then kicked hard out of the corner and just held on for as long as I could. I finished 14th, Skye-Lee 25th, Sandra Kolb 29th, and Anna and Charlyne thereafter (team photo-minus Skyee-Lee is below). Full results and details can be found on the event website. I took a photo of the results list (pictured here) as it said my team was Fleet Cycles, -you can double clink on it to make it bigger- it has since been changed to BJs. I had to be happy, my first NRC event, in a big field and I was winning decent prize money. So I was pleased, but I still want to win. I want to be on one of those big pro team trains I saw today, I want to be a part of that.

It was great to see Pete Dawson (Rock Racing) race, his team finished first and third in the Cat 1 Men. For a moment, talking with him I felt like I was home again. His team must have an enormous budget, the video show the cars/trucks etc. There was a great atmosphere with food stalls, promotional tents, music etc I was really impressed.

I have changed my flights and am now staying in LA (NoHo- North Hollywood) until Friday 4th July as the air quality is better, and I feel safer away from the bushfires. I am then racing 3 days straight, regional racing in Northern CA with Lindsay and Dewars Racing Team.

Sandra and Bicycle John's Elite Team has been fantastic, I have learnt so, so much and have been very well looked after. What an incredible journey I am on.

Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done Davina. Those are some really awesome results for your first NRC race!

Sounds like you are getting some excellent experience - great write up of the crit, really educational.

Can't wait to see more photos.

Chuck said...

Great stuff D, sounds like you're already having a blast.

Unknown said...

Hi there gorgeous! Congratulations on completing your first two rides in the US. It sounds like you are finding your feet pretty fast! Not that we would expect anything else from you chickie :o). I shall look forward to more updates. Dan xx