Sunday, June 29, 2008

If you arn’t going all the way, why go at all? Joe Namath

I have settled into "base camp" at Lindsay Myers’ house (pictured here) in Paradise, close to Chico, CA. We have been out and done a few easy rides and some rollers, my legs are getting there. The Health Warning for the Northern California bush fires has been upgraded to Stage 2- basically stay inside the house, and obviously this is not ideal for us and our training, not to mention the concerns about my safety from home. We have discussed the merits of wearing a facemask whilst on a training ride and I tried asking a man about the mask he was riding in the other day, but he couldn’t understand "Australian" so Lindsay had to speak with him.

We have used this time to plan our races and options to get out of town (and the region) to get away from the smoke. Change of plan for this weekend and I am now flying to LA (instead of driving) for the NRC Manhattan Beach Criterium and a regional race; Green Trolley. I will be picked up from the airport and staying with Sandra Kolb (the DS of Bicycle John’s regional elite womens’ team). Skye-Lee Armstrong (NSW-Australia) is racing with this team too.

Green Trolley criterium (regional race) in San Diego, CA, USA (50 mins).
Sandra and I raced today (Saturday) and my goal was to win primes and help out Sandra where I could, she wanted a good overall placing for regional points (their road rider of the year). Cash primes were offered for the first four laps, then some prize primes throughout the race. The course was a square (all right hand turns) with an uphill section to the finish that reminded me of the Perth Criterium Series #3- Vic Park.

I honestly had no idea how I would go against the other girls, but felt okay and looking forward to learning, learning I did. I won the first two lap primes, then on the third lap/prime a group of three got away. Of the break, two of the riders were unattached and one was a Cat2. Shortly thereafter there was an attack and three of us got away. I wasn’t sure whether I should work with them or bring them back to the main group (as we wanted Sandra to place) so I decided not to work as it was very early in the 50 min race.

There were some good Cat 1 riders (and regional teams represented: Helens, DeWalt, SDBC) with only one team rider in the break, I thought that we would get plenty of opportunities to bring them back. In hindsight, Sandra was happy for me to go and wished that we had of worn the radios so she could tell me to. The teams did not seen to want to work to bring back the break, as Sandra is normally a dommestic rider (and a great time trialist) they seemed to be all looking at her to work to bring back the break. The couple of times I got on the front to help her out after my primes, they attacked. There was some bunch primes and I won another two.

Another attack went and Sandra was in front of me, she went and I saw it but didn’t react, keeping the rest of our bunch back (minus the other three riders in front of her). So there was a lead group of three, and then Sandra’s chase group of four, then the bunch. The lead group lapped the field and caught the bunch, and stayed in the bunch. I got on the front and slowed down the bunch (so that that Sandra’s chase group would also bridge to the bunch and I could lead her out for the finish). I copped a spray from a rider saying that I shouldn’t provide wind resistance to the lead riders (I am not sure they knew what I was trying to achieve).


It was clear that the front riders were content with staying in the bunch, I am not sure if they knew there was a chase group. So I changed tact as it was coming to the final few laps of the race and decided to drop off the bunch back to Sandra’s chase group to help them bridge the gap to the bunch and the front riders. I didn’t realize that you can’t do this according to the rules, so when I went past the start/finish the commasaire called my name to get off the front of the chase group. I did and rolled into the official stand the next lap. He told me what I did was against the rules, but because I came off straight away it was okay and I had some primes to claim that I should finish the race (with 2 laps to go) even though I was a lap and a ½ down on the bunch now.

The bunch slowed down and I got back on (now 1 lap down on the main field and 2 laps down on the leaders). We had a sprint for the finish (but because I was laps down I was not sure if I needed to complete these laps- just for the record you don’t) and came second in the sprint across the line. Sandra won her chase group sprint to take forth overall and wasn’t far behind the lead group in the end.

So all in all, I learnt heaps (that was the aim), we should have used radios, I cornered well and I won 4 primes (I would have been happy with one actually). I won some cash, $30 worth of Fluid powder (like Powerade) in a tub and some carbon brake pads. Luke will be happy, he loves it when I win prizes. Big NRC race tomorrow (Sunday), I will be racing for BJs in a team of 5, including Skye-Lee. There is 67 Cat1/2 women pre-registered (plus day- registrations) and I have to get up early (like 4:45am) to travel to the race.
So goodnight.

Footnote: Cat 1 = USA "A" grade/pro riders, Cat 2 = USA "B" grade riders etc.. down to Cat 4 for the women.

No comments: