Thursday, June 19, 2008

Life is change, growth is optional, choose wisely (Karen Clark)

It is official, I am flying to the USA on Tuesday 24th June to race for 8 weeks, I have a mixed, jam-packed schedule with some team affiliations and people looking after me. A special thank you to the following people who have really helped to make this happen and create opportunities for me, at the last minute mind you: Janelle Graham, Lindsay Myers, Laura Charameda, Michelle Beltran, Rochelle Gilmore, Leonie Burford, Darryl Benson, Marty Nothstein and Andrew Ivey. Of course, my husband & family for letting me go and NAM&S for sponsoring my flights.

The reality is setting in as my flights are booked, my international licence has arrived and I am now telling people I am leaving in under a week. This is a massive opportunity that I have created for myself (very early in my career, I am aware) and I am very much looking forward to the experience and the very many lessons I know I will learn. I will be professional in my approach and as always, represent WA/Fleet Cycles/Avanti-Specialized to the best of my ability.
I’m not at all freaking out about spending the next two months (or so) on the other side of the world, with people I hardly know, to ride my guts out every day that I can. No, not at all. I will keep you updated with regular blog posts and you can follow me around the US. But don’t be expecting wins, I am going to be racing at an international level for some of the NRC races against seriously hot bike racers, just finishing these races will be (as good as) winning for where I am at. I am also going to get a crash course in right hand turns for criteriums (they ride on the opposite side of the road- yikes, I’m not even very good at left hand ones yet). I am also stopping in Toyko and hoping to see some of this crazy kerien racing Benny K once told me stories about...

I am already starting to work out what I am going to miss out on; starting with the HUGE track event that is planned for June 29th in conjunction with Cyclosportif. There is the cyclist reunion event in the middle of the track with food and drinks included, apparently the first time this has been offered. I have been told that the social aspect to watching track racing is huge overseas (I will let you know soon) and I can’t see why we can’t create something awesome here in Perth with everyone’s support. Cycling WA website has all the details, apparently some of the AIS boys will be racing, some NZ National guys, Trav Meyer and Graeme Brown- why wouldn’t you go? My husband is doing the sound, so half of me will be there.

At this event, our Plan B WA Racing Team will be announced and launched. This is the first of its kind for WA after some seriously hard work by Darryl Benson, Chris Thompson and the Team Management. I will be disappointed to not be at the official launch but honored to be in the women’s team.

So much to do, so little time.

No comments: