Sunday, June 8, 2008

You are the handicap you must face- James Allen

State 100km (85km) Championships, SRS#7; 10 x 8.5km laps, Wandi, Perth WA.

Av speed 35km/hr
Max speed 56km/hr
Av HR 161bpm
Max HR 188bpm

We had a good turnout (for WA women’s racing) for our 2nd State race and 7th race of the state series, with 15 women at the start line. It was great to see riders like Kelly Harry (Glen Parker Cycles) and Jo Bennett (Kalamunda Cycles) who haven’t raced (cycling) for a while. Also, some of the regular, new faces like Kelly Grey (KD Cycles) and Anna Kauffmann. Despite resting, I still hadn’t been able to shake the headcold I’ve had for the last 3 weeks, so I was just going to see how warm-up and the first lap went. I figured I would work it out pretty soon, the course was flat but breathing was still not-optional. I thought I would set the scene early by attacking within the first few 100m of the race (unsure of how long I would last, at least I could contribute whilst I was there). This was counter-attacked by Melissa Hoskins (JETS). In comparison to what usually happens in our races, there were quite a few attacks, and a couple, but not nearly enough, counter-attacks. Without these counter and third attacks it would be pretty difficult to get away on such a flat course.

So not surprisingly, it came down to a bunch kick. I was thinking, surely someone didn’t want it to be a sprint finish. I was waiting for the early moves, and then they didn’t come…until the last km when Rebecca Armstrong (Cyclemania) came up the inside…fast. We all sort of looked at each other, someone had to chase but no one went immediately (Rebecca’s lead was growing). Jo Bennett got on the front and chased her down (a mighty effort after being on the front for a great deal of the day), Sarah-Jeanne kicked up the inside, with Melissa on her wheel and Cherie Bonasera (Symmetry CC)(pictured above) followed by the bunch. After getting out of my (poor) position through the corner, I started my sprint wheel-less and into the wind, not ideal, I am aware. I could see that Melissa had passed Sarah and was in the lead with only about 100m to go. I gave it all that I could to try and get there, but the line came too quick for me.
A great win to Melissa (pictured- special thanks to Pete (her Dad) for the photo), I was second, and Cherie third. I will need to check but I think it was Melissa’s first road race win (with the Open Women) and Cherie’s first podium finish. We all seemed pretty happy with the day.
Now, I need to rest for the final state race next weekend: State TT Champs.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Watch out for Cherie!