Monday, June 2, 2008

Living the dream

Menzies-Kalgoorlie Australia’s Richest Handicap Race, May 31st and June 1st.
We missed all of the rain in Perth this weekend, and had a FAB weekend away in Kalgoorlie (6 hours drive east of Perth) for what is fast becoming my favourite race of the WACF calendar. The smooth running of the race(s) and events were a credit to the Eastern Goldfields Cycle Club and I encourage all WA (or Australian) riders to support the well-paying event next year. Saturday was the criterium racing and Sunday was the handicap road race.

Saturday 31st May, 2008 C grade Criterium: technical, hotdog circuit with slight uphill and round-about in the middle
Distance 25mins plus two laps,
Av speed 33.4km/hr
Max speed 49.2km/hr
Av HR 181bpm
Max HR 189bpm
Start # about 15 men, 2 women

I had a little cheer squad on the sidelines, the screams of "Go Davina" made my day each time I rode past, thank you very much for your support. I rode conservatively initially, the pace was on but no one was getting away, I just tried to settle in. There was good jostling for position, quite a few good attacks, and only one corner incident (affecting two riders). The round-about in the middle made it interesting when the group bunched, appropriately positioned hay-bails ready to soften any impact, thankfully were not required. In hindsight, I started my run for home a little early perhaps and may have done a bit too much to bring back attacks later in the race. Murray Hall rode a great race with good positioning, I was watching and learning. Out of the final corner, there was a clear leader and the bunch sprint was on for 2nd, I finished about 9th and was happy with my race.

The only other race I saw was the A grade criterium, an awesome effort by Luke Durbridge (Ward Cycles/WAIS) to win by lapping the field. I was impressed, and taking more mental notes.

Sunday 1st June, 2008
Menzies to Kalgoorlie Australia’s Richest Handicap Race
Distance 132kms
Av speed 42.5km/hr
Max speed 56.2km/hr
Av HR 159bpm
Max HR 187bpm
Start # 120 (inc E grade)

I was so very excited about this race and you could not wipe the smile off my face. C grade was smaller than last year (20 riders), with a big D grade (27 riders), B grade also looked strong (20 riders) with some of these riders knocking on the door of A grade (11 riders). E grade went off at 10am. E grade it is largely considered a participation grade with riders not being able to claim prize money- we will come back to this. D grade started with some haste a short time later and I remember thinking, I hope they don’t keep this pace up, there are some good female riders in D grade that we were going to need to catch for the first female prizes.

C grade lined up to start and lead by Murray Hall we agreed to work together right from the start. We had an awesome group that worked well rolling through, we were romping along and I looked down at my speedo and saw 52km/hr, I smiled, I love this. There was encouragement and organisation, in particular by a tall rider in orange Orbea kit to whom I would like to thank. (I will look at the video and try and get a name, my apologies). We caught D grade (with B/A nowhere in sight from behind) and did what we could to avoid them getting on, but they were on the ball and straight onto the back.

Unfortunately, this where our perfectly rolling through group finished, and the big bunch “cat and mouse” game began for the final sprint, with about 25kms still to go. I was worried that A/B would catch us as our pace had dropped dramatically. Murray Hall did about 3 attacks to stretch it out, with no one countering (I thought about it, need to go, not think). Paul Lamond did a stint on the front for a couple of kms and then the final attacks and fun really began.




I was towards the front of the bunch for the right turn into Hannan’s street but I was getting engulfed by the bunch and told myself to be patient, make it through the round-about and corner. We had a hairpin turn and a final 200m sprint to the line. The video (starts out of the turn) and says it all. Paul Lamond taking the win (awesome effort after a tough day), I had a good go for third with a great throw on the line, but Terry Andrews getting there by about a tire width, I started my second kick just a bit too late. I finished 4th, 2 places higher than last year. Last year, I was told that I was the highest placing female in the race’s history, so I guess I still am (assuming it was true). I was wrapped!


Results (unofficial): 1. Paul Lamond 2. Laszlo Sebestyen 3. Terry Andrews 4. Davina Summers 5. Sarah-Jeanne Fraser 6. David Berglund

There was a little bit of confusion with the female prizes at the presentation dinner, with the first female being awarded to the first female over the line (from E Grade), this is a new interpretation of the ruling that the women will be watching out for next year.

Best cycling wishes to you all

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Way to go D!!! Great to see 2 women in the line up this year. Shame about the main prize going to E grade - that's what I was trying to do last year but you caught me! Would have loved to be there - but I'm in Montreal, would you believe I arrived only a few hours after the Women's World Cup finished.