Saturday, June 7, 2008

Opinions are made to be changed - or how is truth to be got at? (Lord Byron)

Interesting week this week, with some great track racing last night at the WA Speed dome. I was scheduled for more recovery so took the rollers down and watched the racing for a couple of hours whilst rolling. The rider participation numbers were good and I was itching to be out there. A grade had an ominium series, some great racing from Jordon VdT, Luke Durbridge and Duane Johanson which was very entertaining. B grade had Bella King giving her best in a big field, very impressive. C grade was a mix of new adults (like Bec Halliday, Anna Kauffmann (pictured below), Stephanie, and Dannika-returning from injury), some Masters (Bobby Barnes etc) and juniors (mostly NDCC; Kate Rendell, Allee Proud etc). Bec H was impressive (pictured above) and may have just earned herself a promotion to B grade. Next track racing is 29th June in conjunction with Cyclosportif, see WA Cycling website for more info.

There has been a little bit of discussion over the women’s prizes for the Menzies last weekend. As I understand, a formal complaint has been submitted and the results are being re-assessed. I have chosen not to support the formal complaint as I am happy with my 4th (overall) placing and prize money. As I read the rulings, I am not entitled to ‘women’s prizes’ as my outright placing is of greater monetary value than the first women (and you should be only able to receive one prize, of the highest value). As in my previous post, I had a top weekend.

We have our state WA 100km title on this weekend, the second of the road state titles up for grabs and the SRS #7 race for the year. It seems there will be a quality field of women with; myself, Anna K, Melissa Hoskins, Kelly Gray, Kelly Harry, Sue Johnston, Sarah-J F, Nadine, Jo Bennett, Cherie B, Danielle, Rebecca Armstrong and Nathalie L. I have been informed by Russell Miller (race organizer) that if we have 10 starters on the day there will be a separate women’s race. It will be my last race with my current Specialized bike; Specialized and Fleet have arranged me a new road bike that will be getting built on Monday. I am very excited, photos to follow soon. Apparently it has red in it…red goes fast doesn’t it?

The main event for the week was my birthday. This was a great opportunity to be reminded by my friends that life is not ‘all about the lycra’ as they put it. I had a great day starting with breakfast with my four best mates (pictured here). They have watched and been very supportive of my transition into being a cyclist over the last two years; thanks guys, you are the best. My day finished with a romantic dinner out with my husband to our favourite restaurant. What more could a girl ask for?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dee, as one of the four friends that firmly believes there is soooo much more to life than lycra, it was absolutely wonderful to have you out to breakfast!

I miss you.

Its been really interesting watching this cycling thing.

Having met you at uni and worked with you in the science field, I know that your incredibly smart, it frightens my how determined you are (the never say die attitude is brilliant), and I love your no-shit attitude. When your finished with this cycling rubbish, come work for me - we could cure Parkinson's! Now surely that would be a challenge?